Overview: Our client is a national distributor of drink and alcohol related products and they are looking for a Health & Safety Advisor for their offices in Mildenhall, Suffolk.
Working in the Mildenhall branch for our client, you will also be required to visit their head office in Melbourn in Cambridgeshire so a driving license is important for the successful candidate.
Your duties will include but not be limited to:
- Writing all risk assessments and method statements applicable to all aspects of work at both sites. Be it one off jobs or continued processes. Keeping this up to date and reviewing when processes or working areas change.
- Ensuring these are communicated to all members of staff and the paperwork filed correctly.
- Ensuring all contractors that come on to site are inducted, trained appropriately, hold the correct certification, have the correct liability insurance and added to our contractor list. Ensuring there working practices are adhered to and ours aren’t effecting there’s.
- Ensuring all equipment is inspected in the correct manner by the appropriate person. Results recorded and register updated accordingly.
- Ensuring all the correct servicing is in place and up to date. Vans, forklifts, boilers, pump trucks, alarms, fire alarms, fire extinguishers, emergency lighting, first aid, ladders, PAT testing, Fixed electrical testing, Asbestos (when required), Legionnaires (when required), conveyors, racking.
- All chemicals held on site are in the COSHH folder with the appropriate data sheets and risk assessments, reviewing annually and ensuring this is up to date at all times.
- Writing and amending the fire evacuation procedure. Carrying out fire drills and writing up reports from said drill.
- Ensuring that staff training is in place and up to date. First aid & fire Marshall.
- Ensuring asbestos register is up to date and monitored effectively. Results are recorded and communicated effectively.
- Reviewing our induction processes at both sites.
- Carrying out inductions at our head office. Including setting up new employees on the TNA software.
- Working with Ellis Whittham, external health and safety who carry out audits and create priority lists against the actions required. Working through the documents they have provided.
- Responsible for all fire safety. Ensuring risk assessments are carried out (external company), extinguishers are serviced at the correct intervals. Emergency light tests are carried out, be it internal checks and servicing via an external company. Fire regulations are adhered to at all times.
- Continued and further training of the fire marshals. Keeping an eye on holiday and making sure appropriate cover is in place.
- Looking at working practices and procedures whilst on site and ensuring these are adhered to.
- Working with office based staff of issues arising from DSE related work.
- Carrying out DSE assessments.
- Ensuring all the correct signage is displayed.
- Taking meetings with relevant staff on H&S issues.
- Helping staff with any questions and issues they have.
- Ensure any new starters who have certification, that it is valid for the task or equipment prior to them using it.
- Handling any accident investigations.
- Communicating H&S issues with the directors as and when they arise.
- Carrying out inspection tours.
- Ensuring managers and supervisors are aware of their responsibilities and keeping on top of their jobs.
- Researching and purchasing equipment and PPE and ensuring it is suitable for the task at hand and conforms to the correct British and European standard.
- Keeping up to date on legislation.