Overview: Job Purpose To assist the Memorial Park Manager to provide a dignified cremation service to the public, to deputise in Managers absence and to assist other crematorium staff in their duties as described below.
Outline of Primary Duty
To carry out the cremation of human remains in accordance with the Institute of Cemetery and Crematorium Management Inc. ‘Guiding Principles’ and following the requirements of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and all subsequent legislation, and with Denbighshire Memorial company policy
- To liaise with Funeral Directors, Ministers and Families and where appropriate organists or musicians to ensure that funeral services in the crematorium chapel are carried out in accordance with the families’ instructions.
- General cleaning and preparation of the crematory, pulverising room, cremated remains store, toilet.
- Cleaning of the administration block including toilet fixtures and fittings.
- Process enquiries from the general public and funeral directors and receive and deal with telephone enquiries as necessary.
- To ensure the collection, identification, storage and final disposal of cremated remains in the Garden of Remembrance is maintained correctly and documented and attend when a family wish to be present should the gardener be unavailable
- To carry out the duties of Chapel Attendant, including general cleaning and preparation of the service chapel, cloister, flower room and adjoining accommodation for services and public use.
- Attend services, direct funeral directors, mourners and members of the general public. To act as a pall bearer, both with other crematorium staff and with staff provided by Funeral Directors. Input into Wesley system music as per prelim for playing during the funeral service.
- Maintain floral displays in designated areas; allocate specific areas for floral tributes and dispose of flower and floral tributes as necessary.
- To assist the Gardener/Attendant during busy periods, sick leave or annual leave.
- Car Parking duties as necessary, that is to assist with the organisation of parking at busy services.
- A high degree of care and understanding is a major requirement of the post.
- Any other duties of a similar nature that may be reasonably requested by the Crematorium Manager or representative.
- To assist with meeting the period sales budgets.
- In carrying out the different functions described, it is important that the appropriate clothing is worn for each function.
- Job holders must be of a height and strength to permit them to shoulder a coffin as part of a 4-person team during services
- To attain ICCM qualification
- To follow and adhere to Cremator Manufacturers requirements, whilst complying with Health and Safety requirements along with service plans to ensure the efficient running of the cremator
This job description is current as at the date shown below. In consultation with you, it is liable to variation by Management to reflect or anticipate changes in or to the job.